Wednesday, April 19, 2006

My decisions really meant something, back then

A Tale From My Youth

It’s a terrible day.
I am alone, thinking.

It can’t be put off;
They’re waiting, downstairs.
They’re calling my name.

Summoning my resolve,
I march to the top of the stairs,
Look down at my parents, my friends,
Their upturned faces
Looking at me,

“I’m sorry,” I say.
“I’m not turning four today.”

I turn away, go back to my room.
They are confused
But a decision has been made.
I’m not growing up and
I’m missing my party.
I’m not turning four today.


***
This is the poem I wrote at the beginning of the semester, with great reluctance, since I didn't/don't think of myself as a poet. I just wrote this to get a little chuckle, though it's based on a true story. I think it's pretty weak, so I may not include it in my final ten; I can't think of any way to shore it up. But anyway, tell me what you think of this one, and I'll put a better one up tomorrow.

Thanks.

3 Comments:

At 4:45 AM, Blogger Trouble said...

i like it but there's something janky about that last few lines. Maybe reverse the order and put "I'm not turning 4 today" last for more dramatic effect.

Okay, i wrote one too, and i'd like you to read it because it kind of jumps around and i need to know if it needs more continuity.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Arthur Mundane said...

But..."I'm not turning four today" is last...

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Trouble said...

I'm missing my party.
They are confused
But a decision has been made
I turn away to go back to my room.
“I’m sorry,” I say.
“I’m not turning four today.”

 

Post a Comment

<< Home