Thursday, April 20, 2006

Foreign planets are strange and exciting

Homesickness

The first thing you notice, Dad,
Is the noise.
When you first hear the
Cars dogs people phones
It’s like a wave
Crashing over you and
You fall to the ground
Gasping
Drowning.

Their food is greasy and indigestible,
But I am becoming fond of cheese.
It reminds me of home.

The smells swell and lift you up
So varied
And so strange.
They make me want to roll around
On the ground, all over,
To cover myself in Earth smells,
But that is frowned upon here.

Humans are pleasant to look at;
They are fuzzy and cute.
But you must never tell them so.

The last thing you notice, Dad,
Is that the stars look very different
From here.
Sometimes I forget where home is
And then it’s like I’m drowning
In luminous green tears.

***
Let me know what you think.

4 Comments:

At 4:47 AM, Blogger Trouble said...

Really good. The last bit about the tears though...i'm not sure how that fits with the stars part.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Arthur Mundane said...

He's homesick.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Trouble said...

yeah i get that, are they his tears? or do the stars look like tears?

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Arthur Mundane said...

Damn, I hadn't even considered that. I mean, I would assume that the green-ness would rule out stars...but I think it might lose some of its poetry if I change it to "I am drowning in luminous tears"...hmmm, you've given me something to consider, this is exactly why I posted these, thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home