Wednesday, April 26, 2006

To the girl I will never see again

I often find myself sad
After seeing a stranger,
And thinking to myself,
There goes another person Ill never know.

I cant explain just what it is that attracts me
to a particular person.
It may not be a physical attraction,
though it often is.
Maybe a girl has an interesting haircut
or freckles
or a scarf wrapped around her head
framing a perfect pretty face.
Those are interesting to me, although those qualities
in themselves
arent enough to make me feel like Im losing something,
Something precious.

People I see in passing
may, in fact,
be someone I could talk to,
someone with something to say,
someone worth a damn.
And I know
I know
looks are deceiving
and sometimes I look for the quiet, unobtrusive ones
the ones nobody else looks to for wisdom,
and wonder if they have a quick and ready laugh
nobody has discovered yet.

You see the problem is one of time.
I approach and talk to a man because of the way he walks
or a girl with elegant eyes
or a graceful, regal nose
and maybe we become friends.
Maybe we never speak again.
How well can you really know someone
In the time you have left?

Maybe I am sad because I spend so much time looking
and no one has yet found
me.

4 Comments:

At 6:23 AM, Blogger Trouble said...

Okay, on first reading i didn't like this poem, but on second reading, I did.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Trouble said...

Okay, on third reading:

Too many extraneous words. Pare it down and leave the essence, which is rock solid.

I'm glad to see you are just as wordy as me at times.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Arthur Mundane said...

Yeah, I took some words out of the beginning when I revised it, but it could probably stand to lose a few more here and there.

I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my poems, Trouble.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Trouble said...

I enjoy reading your poems, and you've always read mine and given me good feedback. It's kind of fun, really.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home